1956In April, a group of about one hundred believers assembled near the present site on Alpine Road Columbia, SC and organized a group called "The Alpine Baptist Church". Brother Arthur Lewis Wood was called to pastor the church. On April 28, 1956, ground was broken for the church building. The church group met in a rented tent until the building could be completed. As the winter wind became brisk, the building was ready for use.
1960On October 10, Pastor Wood resigned; and on November 29, 1960, Bro. Charlton Alvin Fleming who had been filling the pulpit as pastorate, Bro. Alvin Fleming was ordained on December 30, 1960. Shortly there after he moved his wife (Mrs. Onie Fleming) and family to Columbia and too the church from Ware Shoals, SC. On May 19, 1963, the church purchased a pastorium at 1505 Omega Drive, Columbia, South Carolina. On September 25, 1963 the church, for the first time, adopted a formal constitution, by laws and articles of faith, all based on the church covenant. The officers of the original group were Sunday School Superintendent: J. W. Johnson, Church Clerk: V.K. Lewis, Church Treasurer: C.R. Miles, Deacons: Joe Jones, Vernon Brazell and Hayward Koon. The first to be buried on church grounds was John Shannon who passed away in March 1961.
1967 In June, the church decided to brick the church.
1970The Church organized "The Little Folks Bible Class", which has proved a great blessing to the church and the visitors as they come to worship with us. They were being taught during the Worship Hour on their own level in a way they could understand and learn about the Lord.
1975The plans for a new 450-seat auditorium were approved by the church; and on June 19, 1977, ground was broken. Construction began and the new auditorium was dedicated on Easter Sunday, March 26 1978 with Dr. Harold B. Sightler of Tabernacle Baptist Church in Greenville, SC preaching the service.
1982The church decided to build a fellowship hall. Shortly after the fellowship hall was built, a generous gift from a member of the church paid off the building expenses. The old fellowship hall was renovated into a Phrophet's Chamber. Brother Maze Jackson was the first man of God to stay in the living quarters. Thus, it was named the "Jackson Motel."
Pastor C.A. Fleming was saved by God’s grace in a cow pasture in 1950. He began a music and preaching ministry and traveled throughout the state of South Carolina preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ. Subsequently, he was called to serve as the Pastor of Alpine Baptist Church in Columbia, South Carolina, where he served as Pastor for over 36 years. He believed in the ‘Old Country’ way of plain preaching, singing, shouting, and praising God for the free gift of Salvation. His message was one of: Regardless of the hurdles you face with this lifetime and the friends who let you down, never lose the joy of your salvation. We honor the life of Pastor C.A. Fleming who went to be with the Lord on January 23rd, 2013.
Alpine Baptist Church
The Old Country Church
4930 Alpine Road